Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The weather is as shifty...

as my moods!! Today, we have 20 degree Celsius weather, and I've been given a reprieve, thank you, I have the afternoon off!! So! I'm enjoying it! I've been walking around in shirtsleeves, literally one week ago, we had a snowstorm, which yes I've yet to post pictures! Schools were closed life halted and everything was covered in a blanket of white..but with WIND!!(not like Sweden at all) and today..well, its good to see sun, now if only there was a bit more nature! I read an editorial in IHT and it made my day, enough so, that I cut it out and saved it. It's about a man who when asked "where are you from" has trouble answering, and feels uncomfortable and strange. Having wandered around and never really settled somewhere, he wonders if his friends who have come to some status in life, and lived a normal life, are not better off? Possibly, but then he realizes that each place that he has stayed has left an imprint on him, and he has grown as a person and although he might not be "normal" he's not alone, more and more people are choosing to live like this. In psychology people mention wanting to "fit in" with the norm, well I guess this is what that is. It makes one feel better knowing there are others "like me".
Ok...my philosophy for the day..:)
Istanbul is becoming more and more "Europeanized" if there is such a word! We now have free newspapers "Gaste and 20 mins"! The interesting point to make is that its liberal, and quite good actually, its the same as the one in Sweden. Although it would seem from all the advertisements the city supports 20mins which is less serious and more tabloid based. Surprise surprise, why educate the masses! It's also privatizing everything it can get its hands on, lastly being the public transport! The hype is that they will be more modernized, ahh but no mention of a price hike which is sure to come! Thats just a small detail...compared to comfortable seating!
Oh and yes, I'm still teaching, and although I dislike it, it allows me to travel, and thanks to Anne I've seen quite a bit this year, and I'd like to move in the summer, France? Spain? Portugal? Iceland ?(laughing might find Rak or Heimir??)hmm ...so maybe its worth putting up with the little buggers for another year???? It's a struggle between intellectual deteriorization and love of traveling (as well as a few other important reasons!!)...a bit of laziness is involved as well, if I'm honest...
Ahh well, la vie est plus belle maintenant...

1 comment:

koala said...

Nice philosophy! It's great that Istanbul is becoming more liberal/modern - will this make you happier and encourage you to stay? Amongst other things.... Getting away in summer is a great idea - maybe I'll see you in France, England or Denmark!