Monday, September 29, 2008

A day in the rain..

Volunteered in the rain to help out at Housing Works, an organization which donates all of its proceeds to help the homeless and those in need of aid. I found them by accident a few years ago and fell in love with the bookstore, the atmosphere and energy is very soothing. Today they had a book fair outside, under tents, which dripped. The worse was not really the rain, but the dripping from the tents,which at one point would pour cold water down your back, and get under your shirt...ughh.. Not getting soaked was not an option, which made getting a free cup of hot coffee even more enviable! I had the fun job of going around and punching at the water logged tents so cascades of water would tumble down, sometimes we had a few casualties! Yet all in all most of the people had a sense of humour!
Although, I myself, am a book lover/fiend..I have NEVER witnessed such a thing, in the beginning all was well and organized, then as the tables got fuller,and those who hanged in their for the long haul...these were 1$ a book, all kinds...we started having crowds gathering around us repacking books to take to the specific tables, which in the beginning we had, they were like cats at a butcher shop, or vultures over a dead carcass, looming over your shoulder, grabbing a book here grabbing a book there! Tailing me as I carried the box to its designated spot..Returning after such a trip I find my co-volunteer using his voice as a whip, (back back I say! ) teasing, yet kindly but firmly requesting them to go to the tables..However, it was understandable, the temptation to find "the"book, the first glimpse before anyone else spies it..people were buying by the box loads..I myself had to ferret and hide a few books, with the cashier, and to my astonishment, found myself with 11 books! Some nice art books I must admit and one big sociology book..Oriental Despotism...hmm sounds serious doesn't it!
But all joking aside, it was a well run, disciplined organization. Which when my shift ended, 10-2 a new group came, lucky them the rain had stopped! I along with the rest of volunteers were truly tired and ready to rest...the real staff..still unpaid..stayed for the whole thing. I must admit, I am happy to be a part of this, everyone, seemed to know each other from past years, there was a camaraderie amongst people from all walks of life, young and old!

No comments: