Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Well, here in the States it's Thanksgiving, a holiday tradition to cook a turkey..in my family this was no less then 25 lbs usually, 13kilos! We always had guests and always had lots an lots of leftover turkey coming out of our ears! We try to keep up the tradition, the past few years it's been my father who learned to cook past the age of 60 I believe.. Poor man, not his fault too many dominating women, especially in the kitchen, from grandmother..down to me! Well as I am here this year, I volunteered to do it, both to continue the tradition with my nieces and my friend who loves turkey and happens to be here. Yet, unlike years pass, this turkey only weighs 13lbs (7kilos) and god it's been awhile, with the stuffing! It's funny how some things are so ingrained that although it frustrates me I still do it that way, tradition! We close the bird up using toothpicks to hold the stuffing in place! Now, that is about the most annoying and time consuming process, they break, the skins seem to get tougher as years pass, or the toothpicks get thinner and blunter! So my friends, this year I do not go all out, just soup, (lentil), turkey with rice stuffing, some small "meze" appetizers, cheese etc.., roasted vegetables including fennel which I found.., brother who also learned to cook after having children made haricots vert, green beans, and is supplying the alcohol he makes a great martini, while Su my friend is supplying the bread, and fresh mozzerella with tomatoes and basil!
Thankfully Pandora will supply the music, blues jazz and salsa...while I will supply a great new 8 dvd pack of Charlie and Lola,to distract the kids! a must to anyone who has children, I haven't seen the dvds but the books are great, entertaining and educational of course!

Bon Appetit!

No comments: