Sunday, March 04, 2007

Some things never change..or can they?

I am happy to be known as Auntie Aylin to my friends son, nicknamed Orbit a beautiful soul, who as a child only wanted a kiss-cuddle...he's now, in the seventh grade in Scotland and as a quiet child, growing up can be quite difficult. Interestingly enough, the highlands of Scotland are not the quiet idyllic places that we or at least I assumed them to be. On my one and only visit two years back (time flies) I was introduced to bullies, unemployment, underage and overage drinking, drugs and single mothers..If looked at simplistically, it can be narrowed down to the fact that there isn't anything to do-my friend was trying to organize a recreation center to keep the local kids busy, but all this takes community effort and one person's drive. It's truly a hopeless situation because there is only so much you can do..and these kids are supposed to be the next generation, how? when teachers spend more time in trying to control them then teaching them, since when did we need security guards in schools to protect the teachers from the kids! I know everyone knows all this and its nothing new, yet, I still feel it's important enough to remind everyone once again..it's hard to imagine life can be any different if that's all that you are used to..so how do we change it! The only way I can is to be around to offer support and an ear to listen if these kids need anything..

No comments: