Tuesday, April 29, 2008

hello world, remember me,

So, it's been two almost two years since I've been in Istanbul AND I must admit it went by quite fast, and although I sometimes feel like I've not accomplished much, I think I have...broadened my horizons quite a bit...
I've become much more cynical with goverments and life in general however and globalization has a lot to answer for. Idealistic people try to protest against goverments working with big corporations or even bigger goverments however to what avail? Istanbul's new goverment has sold off nearly everything they could think of to foreign investors, or family members. Electricity, bus companies, soon Natural gas, with this of course comes increased prices and we are becoming more and more isolated! May 1st is labor day and has been for nearly 200 years all around Europe, yet our goverment has decided to rename that day, and therefore, control all the protests and demonstrations that are sure to be. No, this is not a joke. Although I must admit if it wasn't the country, where I am living now, I would think it was so. Not that the US is much better with Bush heading it, and soon in my opinion will be McCain unfortunately, since the population of the US has a tendency to elect conservative. I will have gained the ability to study, read at my leisure and walk down the street and see some nature, AND despite everything it is stable. I don't feel economically secure in this country, or that the future is heading in the right direction. The new regime has gotten into the foundations of this country and like termites they are very hard to get rid of. I wish I was being pessimistic but I'm afraid we are heading in the same direction as Iran, watch Persepolis the animation! and you will see what I mean. So I'm off on this beautiful day, to teach the little buggers :)

No comments: