Sunday, March 22, 2009

Warning..music nostalgia time..

"How much do I love you, I'll tell you know lies." (How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky?) Billie Holiday. I'd forgotten how beautiful the lyrics were, and well her voice, gritty and amazing. Youtube definetly has it's benefits. (yes I am just discovering youtube!)Showing old b/w video clips, though it takes getting used to listening in mono again! Sometimes technology is good. It's a perfect song for lovers..so to the young lovers getting married in April, this song is definitely worth listening to again, with some candles!! I'd send a cd but I'm sure Shane has it already in his vast collection!!
Sad how all the good musicians somehow die young and addicted to either painkillers, drugs or alcohol. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must have been. Yet, to truly experience some painful and deep emotions, watch Billie singing Strange fruit. I've never really listened to the lyrics before, perhaps I was just too young, but watching her expression well, it was very eery and her voice booms at the most graphic sections..you can literally see the..never mind.. you'll have to listen to it or not.
Does experiencing suffering, happiness , and deep passions make you a better singer or writer? At this stage in my life, I'd say it adds dimensions, and takes you from being perhaps technically good writer/singer to one that has soul. As Henry Miller told Anais Nin "you have to get out and live life. experience it, not just imagine it." God the songs are all so beautiful, "I'm a fool to want you" a fool to hold you, to seek a kiss the devil has known...maybe I'm biased perhaps modern day music is just as good but at the moment, I'll make a new list of "old" musicians..

No comments: