Tuesday, November 17, 2009

I miss the warmth...

Today was the 20th anniversary of the "velvet revolution"the czech revolution. In the main square there was a small presentation of what life was like with a slide presentation and police cars etc..Although I can not imagine what it was like to live in society where every thing was repressed, it does help to explain why there is a general feeling of containment and repression within the everyday life of the people of Ostrava. Between the occupation of the Germans, and the Russians they lost their soul...Perhaps I'm over emphasizing a bit,and this is just my opinion after observing people in trams, cafes and talking to one or two (who happen to speak english).They are nice and polite yet there is no sparkle of life in their eyes. Perhaps they open up over a few drinks, I do not know, but during the day.. I miss outbursts of emotions, spontaneous laughter! or even an argument between couples or parent and child.

Today I really miss the mediterranean, the warmth, the fact that we hug and kiss when we meet someone, the casual banter with the shopkeeper, the laughter or even the tears. We love with our whole being, sometimes jealously, possessively yet it shows that we are alive... I am an emotional person, my surroundings affect me, people affect me-I can survive here ( I am durable) but it will be interesting to see how it will affect my psyche...It's not the same as Sweden, there they were just cold, devoid of emotion. Here, they have emotions but they are so repressed and pushed down inside them, that it is hidden away...it will be interesting to see how it will come out...(other than through beer).

No comments: